C-section — Overview covers why it's done, risks, what you can expect and tips for recovery.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Apr. 10, 2013
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Wen XR, et al. Thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twins: Impact of ultrasound assessment on successful surgical separation. Clinical Imaging. 2013;37:138.
- Mandy GT. Neonatal outcome, complications, and management of multiple births. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Jackson OA, et al. Conjoined twin separation: Lessons learned. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:956.
- Chen CP, et al. Conjoined twins detected in the first trimester: A review. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;50:424.
- Rhodes JL, et al. Preoperative planning for the separation of omphalopagus conjoined twins The role of a multicomponent medical model. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2013;24:175.
- Mutchinik OM, et al. Conjoined twins: A worldwide collaborative epidemiological study of the International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Surveillance and Research. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics. 2011;157:274.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Chasen ST, et al. Twin pregnancy: Prenatal issues. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Sharma D, et al. Cephalothoracopagus janiceps asymmetros twins: Antenatal sonographic diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 2013;00:1.
- Rios LT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and postnatal findings of cephalothoracopagus janiceps disymmetros: A case report. Case Reports in Medicine. 2012;00:1.
- Roque H, et al. Monoamniotic twin pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.