If your child has a congenital heart defect, it means that your child was born with a problem in the structure of his or her heart.
Some congenital heart defects in children are simple and don't need treatment. Other congenital heart defects in children are more complex and may require several surgeries performed over a period of several years.
Learning about your child's congenital heart defect can help you understand the condition and know what you can expect in the coming months and years.
Congenital heart defect care at Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic offers congenital heart care: Marcus’ story
June 17, 2017
- Congenital heart defects (CHD). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/facts.html. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Congenital heart defects. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Bonow RO, et al. Diseases of the heart, pericardium, and pulmonary vasculature bed. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Overview of congenital cardiovascular anomalies. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital-cardiovascular-anomalies/overview-of-congenital-cardiovascular-anomalies. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About congenital heart defects. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/About-Congenital-Heart-Defects_UCM_001217_Article.jsp#.WKIlDVUrJ0w. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Facts about hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/HLHS.html. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Congenital heart disease. National Health Service. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Congenital-heart-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Gil-Jaurena JM, et al. 15 years of minimally invasive paediatric cardiac surgery; development and trends. Anales de Pediatria. 2016;84:304.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 7, 2017.
- Taggart NW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2017.
- Atorvastatin. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Feb. 24, 2017.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Congenital heart defects in children