Coping and support
Early and steady support from family and health care professionals can help your child grow up to have normal self-esteem and a satisfying social life. These approaches may help:
- Include psychological counseling in your child's treatment plan as needed
- Seek help from a mental health professional if you're having trouble coping and to help you develop healthy parenting strategies
There is no known way to prevent congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Your doctors may recommend genetic counseling if you're thinking of starting a family and you're at risk of having a child with CAH.
Feb. 25, 2017
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. National Organization for Rare Diseases. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/congenital-adrenal-hyperplasia/. Accessed Oct. 7, 2016.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/1467/congenital-adrenal-hyperplasia. Accessed Oct. 7, 2016.
- Overview of congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/endocrine-disorders-in-children/overview-of-congenital-adrenal-hyperplasia. Accessed Oct. 7, 2016.
- Bomberg EM, et al. The relation of peripubertal and pubertal growth to final adult height in children with classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Journal of Pediatrics. 2015;166:743.
- Sarafoglou K, et al. Impact of hydrocortisone on adult height in congenital adrenal hyperplasia — the Minnesota cohort. Journal of Pediatrics. 2014;164:1141.
- Sarafoglou K, et al. Cases of congenital adrenal hyperplasia missed by newborn screening in Minnesota. JAMA. 2012;307:2371.
- Pediatric endocrinology fact sheet: Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) ― A guide for families. American Academy of Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrine Society. https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/soen_confenital_adrenal_hyperplasia.pdf. Accessed Oct. 7, 2016.
- Yau M, et al. Prenatal diagnosis of congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2016;45:267.
- Maccabee-Ryaboy N, et al. Hypertension in children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Clinical Endocrinology. 2016;85:528.
- Lteif AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 4, 2017.
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia