You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Acne can affect people of all ages. Find out what causes acne and ways to keep breakouts under control.
High cholesterol sets the stage for heart disease. Discover ways to reduce cholesterol and keep your heart healthy.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Precocious puberty is a rare condition in which the physical signs of puberty begin to develop too early in children.
Tests and diagnosis
Amniocentesis — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
Chorionic villus sampling — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this early prenatal test.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Mar. 07, 2014
- Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Melmed S, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/endocrine_disorders_in_children/congenital_adrenal_hyperplasia.html?qt=congenital adrenal hyperplasia&alt=sh. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Speiser P, et al. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2010;95:4133.
- Frisen L, et al. Gender role behavior, sexuality, and psychosocial adaptation in women with congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to CYP21A2 deficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2009;94:3432.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2013.
- Nieman LK, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of nonclassic (late-onset) congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 29, 2013.
- Li-Ng M, et al. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. First Consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 29, 2013.
- Witchel SF, et al. Prenatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia — Not standard of care. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2012;21:615.
- Schober J, et al. Disorders of sex development: Summaries of long-term outcome studies. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:616.
- Cheng TQ, et al. Treatment outcomes in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Advances in Pediatrics. 2012;59:269.
- Nieman LK, et al. Treatment of classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Chitty LS, et al. Prenatal development of disorders of sex development. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:576.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.