Doctors often recommend genetic counseling for parents who have congenital adrenal hyperplasia and are contemplating starting a family. The disorder can be diagnosed in fetuses, and prompt treatment, most often beginning in the first or second trimester, can reduce or even eliminate symptoms after birth. It is important to remember that treatment before birth is often recommended, but long-term studies have not yet confirmed that it is safe or effective.
Jan. 22, 2015
- Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Melmed S, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/endocrine_disorders_in_children/congenital_adrenal_hyperplasia.html?qt=congenital adrenal hyperplasia&alt=sh. Accessed Sept. 27, 2013.
- Speiser P, et al. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2010;95:4133.
- Frisen L, et al. Gender role behavior, sexuality, and psychosocial adaptation in women with congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to CYP21A2 deficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2009;94:3432.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2013.
- Nieman LK, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of nonclassic (late-onset) congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 29, 2013.
- Li-Ng M, et al. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. First Consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 29, 2013.
- Witchel SF, et al. Prenatal treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia — Not standard of care. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2012;21:615.
- Schober J, et al. Disorders of sex development: Summaries of long-term outcome studies. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:616.
- Cheng TQ, et al. Treatment outcomes in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Advances in Pediatrics. 2012;59:269.
- Nieman LK, et al. Treatment of classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Chitty LS, et al. Prenatal development of disorders of sex development. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:576.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.