Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
July 29, 2017
- Evans RW. Concussion and mild traumatic brain injury. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Sprouse RA, et al. Sport-related concussion: How best to help young athletes. The Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65:538.
- Concussion: What can I do to feel better after a concussion? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/recovery.html. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Signs and symptoms. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/symptoms.html. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- What is a concussion? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_whatis.html. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Head injury. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/injuries-emergencies/Pages/Head-Injury.aspx. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Schutzman S. Minor head trauma in infants and children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Giza CC, et al. Summary of evidence-based guideline update: Evaluation and management of concussion in sports: Report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. 2013;80:2250.
- McCrory P, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport: The 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2012. Journal of Athletic Training. 2013;48:554.
- Leibson CL, et al. Incidence of traumatic brain injury across the full disease spectrum: A population-based medical record review study. Epidemiology. 2011;22:836.
- Olympia RB, et al. Return to learning after a concussion and compliance with recommendations for cognitive rest. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015;26:115.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Oct. 2, 2016.
- Brown AW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 21, 2016.
- Heads up: Facts for physicians about mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/physicians_tool_kit.html. Accessed Oct. 13, 2016.
- Prideaux CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 1, 2016.
- Riggin, E. EPSi. Nov. 10, 2016