Borderline personality disorder is distressing for both those who have it and those around them. With proper treatment, though, life can be more enjoyable.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Sep. 13, 2014
- Reid RC, et al. Re: Report of findings in a DSM-5 field trial for hypersexual disorder. European Urology. 2013;64:685.
- Leeman RF, et al. A targeted review of the neurobiology and genetics of behavioral addictions: An emerging area of research. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;58:260.
- Reid RC, et al. Report of findings in the DSM-5 field trial for hypersexual disorder. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2012;9:2868.
- Dawson GN, et al. Evaluating and treating sexual addiction. American Family Physician. 2012;86:73.
- Karim R, et al. Behavioral addictions: An overview. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 2012;44:5.
- Estellon V, et al. Sexual addiction: Insights from psychoanalysis and functional neuroimaging. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology. 2012;2:1.
- Garcia FD, et al. Sexual addictions. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2013;36:254.
- Kaplan MS, et al. Diagnosis, assessment, and treatment of hypersexuality. Journal of Sex Research. 2010;47:181.
- Paraphilic disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 26, 2014.
- Rosenberg KP, et al. Evaluation and treatment of sex addiction. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2014;7:77.
- Reininghaus E, et al. Sexual behavior, body image, and partnership in chronic illness: A comparison of Huntington's disease and multiple sclerosis. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2012;200:716.
- Bianchi-Demicheli F, et al. "Sleeping Beauty paraphilia": Deviant desire in the context of bodily self-image disturbance in a patient with fronto-parietal traumatic brain injury. Medical Science Monitor. 2010;16:15.
- Rullo J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 12, 2014.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 14, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.