Compulsive sexual behavior can occur in both men and women, though it's more common in men. It can also affect anyone, regardless of sexual orientation — whether heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual.
Compulsive sexual behavior may occur in people who have:
Sept. 13, 2014
- Alcohol or drug abuse problems
- Another mental health condition, such as a mood disorder (depression or bipolar disorder), or a gambling addiction
- A history of physical or sexual abuse
- Reid RC, et al. Re: Report of findings in a DSM-5 field trial for hypersexual disorder. European Urology. 2013;64:685.
- Leeman RF, et al. A targeted review of the neurobiology and genetics of behavioral addictions: An emerging area of research. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;58:260.
- Reid RC, et al. Report of findings in the DSM-5 field trial for hypersexual disorder. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2012;9:2868.
- Dawson GN, et al. Evaluating and treating sexual addiction. American Family Physician. 2012;86:73.
- Karim R, et al. Behavioral addictions: An overview. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 2012;44:5.
- Estellon V, et al. Sexual addiction: Insights from psychoanalysis and functional neuroimaging. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology. 2012;2:1.
- Garcia FD, et al. Sexual addictions. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2013;36:254.
- Kaplan MS, et al. Diagnosis, assessment, and treatment of hypersexuality. Journal of Sex Research. 2010;47:181.
- Paraphilic disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 26, 2014.
- Rosenberg KP, et al. Evaluation and treatment of sex addiction. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2014;7:77.
- Reininghaus E, et al. Sexual behavior, body image, and partnership in chronic illness: A comparison of Huntington's disease and multiple sclerosis. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2012;200:716.
- Bianchi-Demicheli F, et al. "Sleeping Beauty paraphilia": Deviant desire in the context of bodily self-image disturbance in a patient with fronto-parietal traumatic brain injury. Medical Science Monitor. 2010;16:15.
- Rullo J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 12, 2014.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 14, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.