Coping and support
Grief enters everyone's life at some point. A Mayo Clinic oncologist offers personal tips on grief and mourning.
Refusing to face the facts can be healthy — sometimes. But when denial interferes with treatment or disrupts your life, it's time for a reality check.
Curious about mental health? Discover what shapes the definitions of mental health and mental illness.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Treatments and drugs
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Sep. 29, 2011
- Block SD. Grief and bereavement. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Abrahm JL. Caring for patients at the end of life. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/149504704-4/862286866/1709/49.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50048-8_1340. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Shear MK, et al. Complicated grief and related bereavement issues for DSM-5. Depression and Anxiety. 2011;28:103.
- Bereavement. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Marchand L. End-of-life care. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Grief, bereavement, and coping with loss. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/bereavement/HealthProfessional. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Coping with the loss of a loved one. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/EmotionalSideEffects/GriefandLoss/coping-with-the-loss-of-a-loved-one-depression-and-complicated-grief. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Powell AD. Grief, bereavement, and adjustment disorders. In: Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&uniqId=267674922-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8--cesec1. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- Sung SC, et al. Complicated grief among individuals with major depression: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated features. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Wittouck C, et al. The prevention and treatment of complicated grief: A meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review. 2011;31:69.