Losing a loved one is one of the most distressing and, unfortunately, common experiences people face. Most people experiencing normal grief and bereavement have a period of sorrow, numbness, and even guilt and anger. Gradually these feelings ease, and it's possible to accept loss and move forward.
For some people, feelings of loss are debilitating and don't improve even after time passes. This is known as complicated grief. In complicated grief, painful emotions are so long lasting and severe that you have trouble accepting the loss and resuming your own life.
If you have complicated grief, seek treatment. It can help you come to terms with your loss and reclaim a sense of acceptance and peace.
Sep. 29, 2011
- Block SD. Grief and bereavement. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Abrahm JL. Caring for patients at the end of life. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/149504704-4/862286866/1709/49.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50048-8_1340. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Shear MK, et al. Complicated grief and related bereavement issues for DSM-5. Depression and Anxiety. 2011;28:103.
- Bereavement. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Marchand L. End-of-life care. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Grief, bereavement, and coping with loss. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/bereavement/HealthProfessional. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Coping with the loss of a loved one. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/EmotionalSideEffects/GriefandLoss/coping-with-the-loss-of-a-loved-one-depression-and-complicated-grief. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Powell AD. Grief, bereavement, and adjustment disorders. In: Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&uniqId=267674922-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8--cesec1. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- Sung SC, et al. Complicated grief among individuals with major depression: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated features. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Wittouck C, et al. The prevention and treatment of complicated grief: A meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review. 2011;31:69.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.