To reduce your risk of common warts:
April 02, 2015
- Avoid direct contact with warts. This includes your own warts.
- Don't pick at warts. Picking may spread the virus.
- Don't use the same emery board, pumice stone or nail clipper on your warts as you use on your healthy skin and nails.
- Don't bite your fingernails. Warts occur more often in skin that has been broken. Nibbling the skin around your fingernails opens the door for the virus.
- Groom with care. Use a disposable emery board. And avoid brushing, clipping or shaving areas that have warts. If you must shave, use an electric razor.
- Wash your hands carefully after touching your warts or surfaces such as shared exercise equipment.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Cutaneous warts. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Warts. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com Accessed Feb. 16, 2015.
- Kwok CS, et al. Topical treatments for cutaneous warts. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001781.pub3/abstract. Accessed Feb. 16, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Nongenital warts (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Bruggink SC, et al. Natural course of cutaneous warts among primary schoolchildren: A prospective cohort study. Annals of Family Medicine. 2013;11:437.
- Warts. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/u---w/warts. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Lunch MD, et al. Management of cutaneous viral warts. BMJ. 2014;348:g3339.
- Kellerman RD. Diseases of the skin. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2015. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Some wart removers are flammable. U.S. Food and Drug Administration consumer update. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm381429.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery. Accessed March 16, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.