Acute kidney failure is the sudden loss of your kidneys' ability to filter waste from your bloodstream. Correcting the underlying cause increases the likelihood of recovery.
Amniotic fluid embolism — Overview covers definition, symptoms and treatment of this pregnancy or post-pregnancy condition.
Cholera causes severe diarrhea and can kill in a matter of hours, yet can be easily treated with oral or intravenous fluids.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Do you have type 2 diabetes? Find out what can happen if you don't follow your treatment plan or check your blood sugar regularly.
Hyperglycemia in diabetes — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of high blood sugar.
Although low levels of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism) can leave you feeling tired and depressed, medications can help you live a normal life.
Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) — Overview covers definition, risks and results of this procedure.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Toxic hepatitis is liver damage that occurs when your liver isn't able to break down certain toxins — including common pain relievers such as Tylenol.
Ebola and Marburg viruses and yellow fever belong to a group of potentially deadly illnesses called viral hemorrhagic fevers. Find out about risk.
West Nile virus infection usually resolves on its own, but occasionally it can be serious.
Oct. 12, 2012
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Daroff RB, et al. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed Aug. 28, 2012.
- Young GB. Stupor and coma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Overview of coma and impaired consciousness. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/coma_and_impaired_consciousness/overview_of_coma_and_impaired_consciousness.html?qt=coma&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Traumatic brain injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/tbi.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- NINDS cerebral hypoxia information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/anoxia/anoxia.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/stroke/index.aspx. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Meningitis and encephalitis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephalitis_meningitis/encephalitis_meningitis.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/stroke.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.