Drug addiction is the compulsive dependence on a legal or illegal drug. Treatment and a strong support system may help break an addiction.
Although low levels of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism) can leave you feeling tired and depressed, medications can help you live a normal life.
Shaken baby syndrome — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment of this serious brain injury.
Acute kidney failure is the sudden loss of your kidneys' ability to filter waste from your bloodstream. Correcting the underlying cause increases the likelihood of recovery.
Amniotic fluid embolism — Overview covers definition, symptoms and treatment of this pregnancy or post-pregnancy condition.
Hyperglycemia in diabetes — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of high blood sugar.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Here's what to expect if you're scheduled for an EEG (electroencephalogram) — a common diagnostic test for many brain disorders, especially epilepsy.
Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) — Overview covers definition, risks and results of this procedure.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Oct. 12, 2012
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Daroff RB, et al. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed Aug. 28, 2012.
- Young GB. Stupor and coma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Overview of coma and impaired consciousness. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/coma_and_impaired_consciousness/overview_of_coma_and_impaired_consciousness.html?qt=coma&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Traumatic brain injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/tbi.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- NINDS cerebral hypoxia information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/anoxia/anoxia.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/stroke/index.aspx. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Meningitis and encephalitis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephalitis_meningitis/encephalitis_meningitis.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/stroke.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.