Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 12, 2014
- Ahnen DJ, et al. The approach to the patient with colonic polyps. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 28, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 27, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Why is surveillance of colorectal polyps important? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Elmunzer BJ. Endoscopic resection of sessile colon polyps. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:30.
- Baron TH, et al. Recommended intervals between screening and surveillance colonoscopies. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:854.
- Kennedy RD, et al. The natural history of familial adenomatous polyposis syndrome: A 24 year review of a single center experience in screening, diagnosis, and outcomes. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2014;49:82.
- Sharma P, et al. Advanced imaging in colonoscopy and its impact on quality. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2014;79:28.
- Hegde M, et al. ACMG technical standards and guidelines for genetic testing for inherited colorectal cancer (Lynch syndrome, familial adenomatous polyposis, and MYH-associated polyposis). Genetics in Medicine. 2014;16:101.
- What I need to know about colon polyps. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colonpolyps_ez/#what. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Ahnen DJ, et al. Colorectal cancer: Epidemiology, risk factors, and protective factors. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 10, 2014.