- Experience. At Mayo Clinic, doctors trained in diagnosing and treating all types of headaches have experience treating people with cluster headaches.
- Team approach. Doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists) may work with a team of doctors in many other areas to evaluate and treat your condition.
- Research. Doctors study causes and new diagnostic tests and treatments for cluster headaches and other types of headaches.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
June 04, 2013
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- May A. Cluster headache: Epidemiology, clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- May A. Cluster headache: Acute and preventive treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..00094-3--s0015&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=407506908-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..00094-3--s0015. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Cluster headaches. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Cluster_Headaches. Accessed April 10, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Evers S. Pharmacotherapy of cluster headache. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:2121.
- Francis GJ, et al. Acute and preventive pharmacologic treatment of cluster headache. Neurology. 2010;75:463.
- Rossi P, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with cluster headache: Results of a multi-centre headache clinic survey. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2008;16:220.
- Sewell RA. Response of cluster headache to kudzu. Headache. 2009;49:98.
- Magis D, et al. Neurostimulation therapies for primary headache disorders: Present and future. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012;25:269.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed April 4, 2013.