Mayo Clinic researchers actively study cluster headaches and other types of headaches. Researchers study new medications and treatment options to help prevent and treat cluster headaches. Read more about Mayo Clinic headache research.
Researchers are studying promising new cluster headache treatments, including:
- Occipital nerve stimulation. Researchers are studying the effectiveness of occipital nerve stimulation, a procedure in which your surgeon implants electrodes in the back of your head and connects them to a small generator. The electrodes send impulses to stimulate the area of the occipital nerve, which may block or relieve your pain signals.
- Deep brain stimulation. Doctors are researching the treatment of cluster headaches with deep brain stimulation, a procedure in which your surgeon implants an electrode into a specific area of your brain (the hypothalamus) associated with the timing of cluster headache periods. Your surgeon connects the electrode to a generator that changes your brain's electrical impulses and may help relieve your pain.
Read about microstimulators that hold promise for some medically refractory headaches, neurostimulation at Mayo Clinic and management of pediatric headache at Mayo Clinic.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on cluster headaches on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
June 04, 2013
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- May A. Cluster headache: Epidemiology, clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- May A. Cluster headache: Acute and preventive treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..00094-3--s0015&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=407506908-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..00094-3--s0015. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Cluster headaches. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Cluster_Headaches. Accessed April 10, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Evers S. Pharmacotherapy of cluster headache. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:2121.
- Francis GJ, et al. Acute and preventive pharmacologic treatment of cluster headache. Neurology. 2010;75:463.
- Rossi P, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with cluster headache: Results of a multi-centre headache clinic survey. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2008;16:220.
- Sewell RA. Response of cluster headache to kudzu. Headache. 2009;49:98.
- Magis D, et al. Neurostimulation therapies for primary headache disorders: Present and future. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012;25:269.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed April 4, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.