Clubfoot describes a range of foot abnormalities usually present at birth (congenital) in which your baby's foot is twisted out of shape or position. In clubfoot, the tissues connecting the muscles to the bone (tendons) are shorter than usual. Clubfoot is a fairly common birth defect and is usually an isolated problem for an otherwise healthy newborn.
Clubfoot can be mild or severe. About half of children with clubfoot have it in both feet. If your child has clubfoot, it will make it harder to walk normally, so doctors generally recommend treating it soon after birth.
Doctors are usually able to treat clubfoot successfully without surgery, though sometimes children need follow-up surgery later on.
March 23, 2016
- Clubfoot. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00255. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/clubfoot.aspx#. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-smaller-toes/Pages/Clubfoot.aspx. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Chu A, et al Treatment of idiopathic clubfoot in the Ponseti era and beyond. Foot and Ankle Clinics. 2015;20:555.
- Smith WG. Interventions for congenital talipes equinovarus (clubfoot). Paediatrics and Child Health. 2015;20:307.
- Dodwell E, et al. Factors associated with increased risk of clubfoot: A Norwegian National Cohort Analysis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:e104.
- Werler MM, et al. Maternal cigarette, alcohol, and coffee consumption in relation to risk of clubfoot. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology. 2015;29:3.
- Zionts LE. What's new in idiopathic clubfoot? Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:547.
- Morgenstein A, et al. A randomized clinical trial comparing reported measured wear rates in clubfoot bracing using a novel pressure sensor. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:185.
- Luckett MR, et al. Factors predictive of second recurrence in clubfeet treated by Ponseti casting. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:303.
- Milbrandt TA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2016.