If your baby is born with clubfoot, he or she will likely be diagnosed soon after birth. In some cases, your baby's doctor may refer you to a pediatric orthopedist.
If you have time before meeting with your child's doctor, make a list of questions. Your time with the doctor may be limited, so it helps to be prepared. Here are some questions to consider asking:
- Do you commonly treat newborns with clubfoot?
- Should my child be referred to a specialist?
- What types of corrective treatment are available?
- Will my child need surgery?
- What kind of follow-up care will my child need?
- Should I get a second opinion before beginning my child's treatment? Will my insurance cover it?
- After treatment, will my child be able to walk normally?
- Are there any printed materials that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
In addition, tell your doctor:
- If you have family members — including extended family — who've had clubfoot
- If you had any medical issues or problems during your pregnancy