Most commonly, a doctor recognizes clubfoot soon after birth just from looking at the shape and positioning of the newborn's foot. Occasionally, the doctor may request X-rays to fully understand how severe the clubfoot is, but usually X-rays are not necessary.
It's possible to clearly see some cases of clubfoot before birth during an ultrasound exam. While nothing can be done before birth to solve the problem, knowing about the condition may give you time to learn more about clubfoot and get in touch with appropriate health experts, such as a genetic counselor or an orthopedic surgeon.
March 23, 2016
- Clubfoot. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00255. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/clubfoot.aspx#. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-smaller-toes/Pages/Clubfoot.aspx. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Chu A, et al Treatment of idiopathic clubfoot in the Ponseti era and beyond. Foot and Ankle Clinics. 2015;20:555.
- Smith WG. Interventions for congenital talipes equinovarus (clubfoot). Paediatrics and Child Health. 2015;20:307.
- Dodwell E, et al. Factors associated with increased risk of clubfoot: A Norwegian National Cohort Analysis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:e104.
- Werler MM, et al. Maternal cigarette, alcohol, and coffee consumption in relation to risk of clubfoot. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology. 2015;29:3.
- Zionts LE. What's new in idiopathic clubfoot? Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:547.
- Morgenstein A, et al. A randomized clinical trial comparing reported measured wear rates in clubfoot bracing using a novel pressure sensor. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:185.
- Luckett MR, et al. Factors predictive of second recurrence in clubfeet treated by Ponseti casting. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:303.
- Milbrandt TA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2016.