Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If your baby is born with clubfoot, he or she will likely be diagnosed soon after birth. In some cases, your baby's doctor may refer you to a doctor who specializes in bone and muscle (musculoskeletal) problems (pediatric orthopedist).

If you have time before meeting with your child's doctor, it's a good idea to make a list of questions. Your time with the doctor may be limited, so it helps to be prepared. Here are some questions to consider asking:

  • What types of corrective treatment are available for my child's condition?
  • Will my child need surgery?
  • What kind of follow-up care will my child need?
  • Should I get a second opinion before beginning my child's treatment? Will my insurance cover it?
  • Can you tell how complete a recovery my child will have and whether he or she will have a normal gait?
  • Are there brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?

In addition, tell your doctor:

  • If you have family members — including extended family — who've had clubfoot
  • If you had any medical issues or problems during your pregnancy

It's also a good idea to ask your doctor if he or she commonly treats newborns with clubfoot, or ask if you should get a referral to another doctor.

March 22, 2013