Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
June 17, 2015
- Team approach. Mayo's team at the Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic in Minnesota includes experts from various specialties, depending on your child's needs. Directed by plastic surgeons, the team may include specialists in ear, nose and throat (ENT) and oral surgery, orthodontics, speech, hearing, psychology, genetics, social services, and others.
- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic specialists treat hundreds of patients each year who have cleft lip and cleft palate. With expertise and extensive experience in cleft and craniofacial disorders, including the most complicated cases, Mayo Clinic specialists can provide a customized treatment plan for your child.
- Advanced technology and treatments. Mayo Clinic offers the latest in technology, including advanced diagnostic and treatment methods.
- Coordination with other care areas. Nurturing, child-centered care is provided by Mayo Clinic Children's Center, a family-friendly environment. If needed, Mayo Clinic's team of pain management experts can help prevent and relieve your child's pain.
- Wilkins-Haug L. Etiology, prenatal diagnosis, obstetrical management and recurrence of orofacial clefts. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Crockett DJ, et al. Cleft lip and palate. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2014;22:573.
- Cleft lip and cleft palate surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/cleft-lip-and-palate.html#content. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Campbell A, et al. Cleft lip and palate surgery: An update of clinical outcomes for primary repair. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2010;22:43.
- Cleft lip and cleft palate. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/cleftlip.html. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Cleft lip and cleft palate. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/cleftlip/. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2015.
- Your baby's first year. Cleft Palate Foundation. http://www.cleftline.org/parents-individuals/publications/booklets/. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Parameters for evaluation and treatment of patients with cleft lip/palate or other craniofacial anomalies. American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association. http://www.acpa-cpf.org/team_care/. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Cofer SA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 8, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2015.