Chronic sinusitis complications include:
Jul. 02, 2013
- Asthma flare-ups. Chronic sinusitis can trigger an asthma attack.
- Meningitis. This infection causes inflammation of the membranes and fluid surrounding your brain and spinal cord.
- Vision problems. If infection spreads to your eye socket, it can cause reduced vision or even blindness that can be permanent.
- Aneurysms or blood clots. Infection can cause problems in the veins surrounding the sinuses, interfering with blood supply to your brain and putting you at risk of a stroke.
- Sinuses|Sinusitius|Rhinosinusitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-a-to-z-search/sinuses,-sinusitis,-rhinosinusitis.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=39. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Caimmi D, et al. Nose and lungs: One way, one disease. Italian Journal of Pediatrics. 2012;38:60.
- Albu S. Novel drug-delivery systems for patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Drug Design, Development and Therapy. 2012;6:125.
- Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM): Prevention & control. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/prevention.html. Accessed March 24, 2013.
- Meltzer EO, et al. Rhiosinusitis diagnosis and management for the clinician: A synopsis of recent consensus guidelines. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:427.
- Rudmik L, et al. Olfactory improvement after endoscopic sinus surgery. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery. 2012;20:29.
- Fact sheet: 20 questions about your sinuses. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/sinuses.cfm. Accessed March 31, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.