Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
May 18, 2013
- Howard F. Causes of chronic pelvic pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Howard F. Treatment of chronic pelvic pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 19, 2012.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Chronic pelvic pain. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq099.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130418T1809515975. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Howard F. Evaluation of chronic pelvic pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/interstitialcystitis/index.htm. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Carinci AJ. Complementary and alternative treatments for chronic pelvic pain. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2013;17:316.
- Stones W, et al. Interventions for treating chronic pelvic pain in women. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000387/abstract. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Relaxation techniques for health: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/sites/nccam.nih.gov/files/relaxation_introduction.pdf.Accessed April 14, 2013.
- Noncyclic chronic pelvic pain therapies for women: Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 41. AHRQ Publication No. 11(12)-EHC088-EF. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK84586. Accessed April 28, 2013.
- Martinez B. Management of patients with chronic pelvic pain associated with endometriosis refractory to conventional treatment. Pain Practice. 2013;13:53.
- George SE, et al. Physical therapy management of female chronic pelvic pain: anatomic considerations. Clinical Anatomy. 2013;26:77.
- 14. Kotarinos RK. Pelvic floor physical therapy for management of myofascial pelvic pain syndrome in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2013.
- Hunter C, et al. Neuromodulation of pelvic visceral pain: Review of the literature and case series of potential novel targets for treatment. Pain Practice. 2013;13:3.
- Acupuncture for pain. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/acupuncture-for-pain.htm. Accessed April 14, 2013.