Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is a type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow — the spongy tissue inside bones where blood cells are made.
The term "chronic" in chronic lymphocytic leukemia comes from the fact that it typically progresses more slowly than other types of leukemia. The term "lymphocytic" in chronic lymphocytic leukemia comes from the cells affected by the disease — a group of white blood cells called lymphocytes, which help your body fight infection.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia most commonly affects older adults. There are treatments to help control the disease.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 23, 2017
- Lichtman MA, et al. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia and related diseases. In: Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/. Accessed Jan. 22, 2016.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014 http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 22, 2015.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. https://www.lls.org/sites/default/files/file_assets/cll.pdf. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/leukemia/patient/cll-treatment-pdq. Accessed Jan. 3, 2016.
- When cancer doesn't go away. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/when-cancer-doesnt-go-away. Accessed Jan. 3, 2016.
- Berger AM, et al. Cancer-related fatigue, version 2.2015. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2015;13:1012.
- Shanafelt TD, et al. Phase 2 trial of daily, oral polyphenon E in patients with asymptomatic, Rai stage 0 to II chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer. 2013;119:363.
- Green tea. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/home.aspx. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- D'Arena G, et al. Regulatory T cell modulation by green tea in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology. 2013;26:117.
- Gazya (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Genentech, Inc.: 2013. http://www.gazyva.com. Accessed Dec. 22, 2015.
- Imbruvica (prescribing information). Sunnyvale, Calif.: Pharmacyclics, Inc.: 2014. http://www.imbruvica.com. Accessed Dec. 22, 2015.
- Zydelig (prescribing information). Foster City, Calif.: Gilead Sciences, Inc.: 2014. https://www.zydelig.com. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Revlimid (prescribing information). Summit, NJ: Celgene Corporation: 2015. http://www.revlimid.com. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia