A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
There's no one-size-fits-all approach for headaches. If you're ready to learn more about specific types of headaches, start here.
Do you get migraines, cluster headaches or tension headaches? Take a look to find out.
Headaches are a fact of life for many women. Here's why — and what you can do about it.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Nasal congestion: Causes and when to see a doctor.
Runny nose: What's causing your sniffles?
Aches and pains, irritability, and crying spells may have an unexpected source — stress. Recognize these and other signs and symptoms so that you can take action.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Mar. 15, 2012
- Halker RB, et al. Chronic daily headache: An evidence-based and systematic approach to a challenging problem. Neurology. 2011;76:S37.
- Chronic daily headache and chronic migraine. American Headache Society. http://www.americanheadachesociety.org/assets/1/7/NAP_for_Web_-_CDH___Chronic_Migraine.pdf. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Chronic daily headache. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Chronic_Daily_Headache. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Boes CJ, et al. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Bradley WG, et al. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7506-7525-3..50111-4&isbn=978-0-7506-7525-3&sid=1244789901&uniqId=307655043-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-7506-7525-3..50111-4--cesec76. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: Chronic tension-type headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/02.03.00_tension.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: New daily persistent headache (NDPH). International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.08.00_other.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: Hemicrania continua. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.07.00_other.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Goadsby PJ, et al. Headache. In: Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9094791. Accessed Dec. 1, 2011.
- Bigal ME, et al. Obesity and chronic daily headache. Current Pain and Headache Report. Published online Nov. 11, 2011.
- Ahmed K, et al. Experience with botulinum toxin type A in medically intractable pediatric chronic daily headache. Pediatric Neurology. 2010;43:316.
- Headaches and CAM. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/headachefacts.htm. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Meditation: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/meditation/overview.htm. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Vargas BB, et al. The face of chronic migraine: Epidemiology, demographics and treatment strategies. Neurology Clinics. 2009;27:467.
- Rains J. Sleep disorders and headache. American Headache Society. http://www.achenet.org/resources/sleep_disorders_and_headache/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 10, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.