Headaches are a fact of life for many women. Here's why — and what you can do about it.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Aches and pains, irritability, and crying spells may have an unexpected source — stress. Recognize these and other signs and symptoms so that you can take action.
Do you get migraines, cluster headaches or tension headaches? Take a look to find out.
Runny nose: What's causing your sniffles?
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
There's no one-size-fits-all approach for headaches. If you're ready to learn more about specific types of headaches, start here.
Mar. 15, 2012
- Halker RB, et al. Chronic daily headache: An evidence-based and systematic approach to a challenging problem. Neurology. 2011;76:S37.
- Chronic daily headache and chronic migraine. American Headache Society. http://www.americanheadachesociety.org/assets/1/7/NAP_for_Web_-_CDH___Chronic_Migraine.pdf. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Chronic daily headache. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Chronic_Daily_Headache. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Boes CJ, et al. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Bradley WG, et al. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7506-7525-3..50111-4&isbn=978-0-7506-7525-3&sid=1244789901&uniqId=307655043-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-7506-7525-3..50111-4--cesec76. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: Chronic tension-type headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/02.03.00_tension.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: New daily persistent headache (NDPH). International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.08.00_other.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- IHS Classification ICHD-II: Hemicrania continua. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.07.00_other.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Goadsby PJ, et al. Headache. In: Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9094791. Accessed Dec. 1, 2011.
- Bigal ME, et al. Obesity and chronic daily headache. Current Pain and Headache Report. Published online Nov. 11, 2011.
- Ahmed K, et al. Experience with botulinum toxin type A in medically intractable pediatric chronic daily headache. Pediatric Neurology. 2010;43:316.
- Headaches and CAM. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/headachefacts.htm. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Meditation: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/meditation/overview.htm. Accessed Dec. 3, 2011.
- Vargas BB, et al. The face of chronic migraine: Epidemiology, demographics and treatment strategies. Neurology Clinics. 2009;27:467.
- Rains J. Sleep disorders and headache. American Headache Society. http://www.achenet.org/resources/sleep_disorders_and_headache/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 10, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.