A chronic cough is a cough that lasts eight weeks or longer in adults, or four weeks in children.
A chronic cough is more than just an annoyance. A chronic cough can interrupt your sleep and leave you feeling exhausted. Severe cases of chronic cough can cause vomiting, lightheadedness and even rib fractures.
While it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the problem that's triggering a chronic cough, the most common causes are tobacco use, postnasal drip, asthma and acid reflux. Fortunately, chronic cough typically disappears once the underlying problem is treated.
Aug. 22, 2017
- Cough. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cough/. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Bope ET, et al. The respiratory system. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Benich JJ, et al. Evaluation of the patient with chronic cough. American Academy of Family Physicians. www.aafp.org/afp. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Silvestri RC, et al. Evaluation of subacute and chronic cough in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Weinberger SE, et al. Treatment of subacute and chronic cough in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Chang AB, et al. Cough in the pediatric population. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2010;43:181.
- Morice AH, et al. Recommendations for the management of cough in adults. Thorax. 2006;61(supp):1.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic cough. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- An important FDA reminder for parents: Do not give infants cough and cold products designed for older children. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/SpecialFeatures/ucm263948.htm. Accessed March 8, 2016.
- Islam S. Flexible bronchoscopy: Indications and contraindications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2016.
- Gibson P, et al. Treatment of unexplained chronic cough. Chest. 2016;149:27.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2016.
- Irwin RS, et al. Diagnosis and management of cough executive summary: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2006;129:1S.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 15th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2016:106.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/. Accessed April 4, 2016.