Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Tests and diagnosis
Nonstress test — Overview covers definition and results of this prenatal test.
Aug. 16, 2014
- Lindor KD, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Geenes V, et al. Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:2049.
- Liver disorders. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/liver-disorders.aspx. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Azzaroli F, et al. The pharmacological management of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2011;6:12.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ169. Skin conditions during pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq169.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140613T1059562167. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gurung V, et al. Interventions for treating cholestasis in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000493.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- SAMe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Pathak B, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2010;37:269.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2014.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2014.