DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Cholestasis of pregnancy occurs in late pregnancy and triggers intense itching, usually on the hands and feet but often on many other parts of the body.
Cholestasis of pregnancy can make you intensely uncomfortable but poses no long-term risk to an expectant mother. For a developing baby, however, cholestasis of pregnancy can be dangerous. Doctors usually recommend early delivery.
The term "cholestasis" refers to any condition that impairs the flow of bile — a digestive fluid — from the liver. Pregnancy is one of many possible causes of cholestasis. Other names for cholestasis of pregnancy include obstetric cholestasis and intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy.
Aug. 16, 2014
- Lindor KD, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Geenes V, et al. Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:2049.
- Liver disorders. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/liver-disorders.aspx. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Azzaroli F, et al. The pharmacological management of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2011;6:12.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ169. Skin conditions during pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq169.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140613T1059562167. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gurung V, et al. Interventions for treating cholestasis in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000493.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- SAMe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Pathak B, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2010;37:269.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2014.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2014.