For mothers, cholestasis of pregnancy may temporarily affect the way the body absorbs fat-soluble vitamins, but this rarely impacts overall nutrition. Itching usually resolves within a few days of delivery, and subsequent liver problems are uncommon — although cholestasis is likely to recur with other pregnancies.
For babies, the complications of cholestasis of pregnancy can be more severe. For reasons not well-understood, cholestasis of pregnancy increases the risk of the baby being born too early (preterm birth). It also increases the risk of meconium — the substance that accumulates in the baby's intestines — getting into the amniotic fluid that surrounds the baby. If a baby inhales meconium during delivery, he or she may have trouble breathing. There's also a risk of fetal death late in pregnancy. Because of the potentially severe complications, your doctor may consider inducing labor around the 37th week of pregnancy.
Aug. 16, 2014
- Lindor KD, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Geenes V, et al. Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:2049.
- Liver disorders. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/liver-disorders.aspx. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Azzaroli F, et al. The pharmacological management of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2011;6:12.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ169. Skin conditions during pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq169.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140613T1059562167. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gurung V, et al. Interventions for treating cholestasis in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000493.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- SAMe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Pathak B, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2010;37:269.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2014.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.