What causes cholestasis of pregnancy is unclear. There may be a genetic component, as the condition sometimes runs in families and certain genetic variants have been associated with it.
Pregnancy hormones also may play a role. Bile is a digestive fluid produced in the liver that helps the digestive system break down fats. It's possible that the increase in pregnancy hormones — such as occurs in the third trimester — may slow the normal flow of bile out of the liver. Eventually, the buildup of bile in the liver allows bile acids to enter the blood stream. Bile acids deposited in the mother's tissues can lead to itching.
Aug. 16, 2014
- Lindor KD, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Geenes V, et al. Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:2049.
- Liver disorders. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/liver-disorders.aspx. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Azzaroli F, et al. The pharmacological management of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2011;6:12.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ169. Skin conditions during pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq169.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140613T1059562167. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Gurung V, et al. Interventions for treating cholestasis in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000493.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- SAMe. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Pathak B, et al. Cholestasis of pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2010;37:269.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2014.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2014.