Signs and symptoms of cholecystitis may include:
- Severe pain in your upper right abdomen
- Pain that radiates from to your right shoulder or back
- Tenderness over your abdomen when it's touched
Cholecystitis signs and symptoms often occur after a meal, particularly a large or fatty meal.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have worrisome signs or symptoms. For abdominal pain so severe you can't sit still or get comfortable, have someone drive you to the emergency room.
Aug. 28, 2014
- Zakko SF, et al. Acute cholecystitis: Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2014.
- Vollmer CM, et al. Treatment of acute calculous cholecystitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2014.
- Acute cholecystitis: Gallbladder and bile duct disease. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hepatic_and_biliary_disorders/gallbladder_and_bile_duct_disorders/acute_cholecystitis.html?qt=cholecystitis&alt=sh 2011. Accessed July 2, 2014.
- Gallstones. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/index.aspx. Accessed July 1, 2014.
- Malladi P, et al. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.