- Experience. Mayo Clinic speech and language specialists (speech-language pathologists) and other staff have experience evaluating and treating children with childhood apraxia of speech or other speech or language conditions.
- Team approach. Speech-language pathologists may work with doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), doctors trained in treating children (pediatricians), physical and occupational therapists, and others to evaluate and treat your child's condition at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors research causes, diagnostic tests and potential treatments for childhood apraxia of speech and other speech and neurological conditions.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
May 09, 2013
- Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/ChildhoodApraxia/. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Morgan AT, et al. Intervention for childhood apraxia of speech. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006278.pub2/abstract. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Carter J, et al. Etiology of speech and language disorders in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Souza TN, et al. Childhood speech apraxia in focus: Theoretical perspectives and present tendencies. Pro-Fono Revista de Atualizacao Científica. 2009;21:76.
- Technical report: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/TR2007-00278.htm. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Position statement: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/PS2007-00277.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Library: Resources and support: Apraxia support groups — United States. Apraxia-KIDS. http://www.apraxia-kids.org/library/apraxia-support-groups-united-states/. Accessed March 6, 2013.
- Strand E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Evidence-based systematic review: Effects of nonspeech oral motor exercises on speech. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 2009;18:343.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Treatment of childhood apraxia of speech: Clinical decision making in the use of nonspeech oral motor exercises. Seminars in Speech and Language. 2008;29:284.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Prevalence and phenotype of childhood apraxia of speech in youth with galactosemia. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2011;54:487.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Proceedings of the 2002 Childhood Apraxia of Speech Symposium. Carlsbad, Calif.: The Hendrix Foundation; 2002.
- Creaghead NA, et al. Assessment and Remediation of Articulatory and Phonological Disorders. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: Macmillan Publishing Company; 1989.
- Caruso AJ, et al. Clinical Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children. New York, N.Y.: Thieme; 1999.
- Speech sound disorders: Articulation and phonological processes. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/SpeechSoundDisorders/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Dysarthria. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/dysarthria/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Yorkston KM, et al. Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children and Adults. 3rd ed. Austin, Texas: Pro-Ed; 2010.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.