It can be difficult to have a child who has problems communicating. There are a number of support groups available for parents of children with childhood apraxia of speech. Support groups may offer a place for you to find people who understand your situation and who can share similar experiences.
To learn about support groups in your area, see the Apraxia-KIDS website.
May. 09, 2013
- Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/ChildhoodApraxia/. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Morgan AT, et al. Intervention for childhood apraxia of speech. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006278.pub2/abstract. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Carter J, et al. Etiology of speech and language disorders in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Souza TN, et al. Childhood speech apraxia in focus: Theoretical perspectives and present tendencies. Pro-Fono Revista de Atualizacao Científica. 2009;21:76.
- Technical report: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/TR2007-00278.htm. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Position statement: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/PS2007-00277.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Library: Resources and support: Apraxia support groups — United States. Apraxia-KIDS. http://www.apraxia-kids.org/library/apraxia-support-groups-united-states/. Accessed March 6, 2013.
- Strand E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Evidence-based systematic review: Effects of nonspeech oral motor exercises on speech. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 2009;18:343.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Treatment of childhood apraxia of speech: Clinical decision making in the use of nonspeech oral motor exercises. Seminars in Speech and Language. 2008;29:284.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Prevalence and phenotype of childhood apraxia of speech in youth with galactosemia. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2011;54:487.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Proceedings of the 2002 Childhood Apraxia of Speech Symposium. Carlsbad, Calif.: The Hendrix Foundation; 2002.
- Creaghead NA, et al. Assessment and Remediation of Articulatory and Phonological Disorders. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: Macmillan Publishing Company; 1989.
- Caruso AJ, et al. Clinical Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children. New York, N.Y.: Thieme; 1999.
- Speech sound disorders: Articulation and phonological processes. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/SpeechSoundDisorders/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Dysarthria. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/dysarthria/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Yorkston KM, et al. Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children and Adults. 3rd ed. Austin, Texas: Pro-Ed; 2010.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.