Chickenpox (varicella) is a viral infection that causes an itchy rash with small, fluid-filled blisters. Chickenpox is highly contagious to people who haven't had the disease or been vaccinated against it. Before routine chickenpox vaccination, virtually all people had been infected by the time they reached adulthood, sometimes with serious complications. Today, the number of cases and hospitalizations is down dramatically.
For most people, chickenpox is a mild disease. Still, it's better to get vaccinated. The chickenpox vaccine is a safe, effective way to prevent chickenpox and its possible complications.
Feb. 28, 2016
- Chickenpox (varicella). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/overview.html. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Types of chickenpox vaccine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/basic-types-vacc.htm. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Papadakis MA, et al., eds. Viral and rickettsial infections. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2015. 54th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Pregnancy complications. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/chickenpox-during-pregnancy.aspx#. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Varicella-zoster virus infections. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Chickenpox (varicella). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious-diseases/herpesviruses/chickenpox. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Health Information for International Travel. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2016. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/varicella-chickenpox. Accessed Dec. 23, 2015.
- Zostavax (prescribing information). Kenilworth, New Jersey: Merck & Co., Inc.; 2015. https://www.merckvaccines.com/Products/Zostavax/Pages/home. Accessed Jan. 22, 2016.
- Privigen (prescribing information). Kankakee, Illinois: CSL Behring LLC; 2016. http://www.privigen.com/professional/prescribing-information.aspx. Accessed Jan. 22, 2016.