- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists) and others have experience diagnosing the cause of your chest pain and treating your condition. The trained staff in the Chest Pain & Coronary Physiology Clinic at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota has expertise in evaluating and treating people who have undiagnosed, complex or unresolved chest pain.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic cardiologists work with doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons), doctors trained in imaging (radiologists) and others to evaluate and treat your chest pain.
- Diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic doctors use detailed imaging tests to accurately diagnose your condition and develop your treatment plan.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors treat chest pain with medications, angioplasty, coronary bypass surgery, cardiac rehabilitation, enhanced external counterpulsation and other therapies.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study causes, diagnosis and treatment of chest pain and related conditions, and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 01, 2011
- Goldman L. Approach to the patient with possible cardiovascular disease. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 3, 2011.
- Brown JE, et al. Chest pain. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 3, 2011.
- Meisei JL. Diagnostic approach to chest pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Sabatine MS, et al. Approach to the patient with chest pain. In: Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Meisei JL. Differential diagnostic of chest pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Lee-Chiong L, et al. Evaluation and treatment of chest pain. In: Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/192068760-2/0/1288/0.html. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Yelland M, et al. An algorithm for the diagnosis and management of chest pain in primary care. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:349.
- What is coronary artery bypass grafting? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cabg. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Ankel F. Aortic dissection: Management. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 17, 2011.