Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Gene therapy is an experimental treatment that involves altering genes in a person's cells to stop disease.
A knee brace may reduce osteoarthritis pain in your knee by shifting the force of your weight off the damaged part of your knee when you walk.
Feb. 14, 2013
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/charcot_marie_tooth/detail_charcot_marie_tooth.htm. Accessed Jan. 10, 2013.
- Facts about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and related diseases. Muscular Dystrophy Association. http://www.mda.org/publications/facts-about-charcot-marie-tooth-related-diseases. Accessed Jan. 12, 2013.
- Aminoff MJ, et al. Clinical Neurology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=66. Accessed Jan. 9, 2013.
- Patzko A, et al. Update on Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Current Neurology Neuroscience Report. 2011;11:78.
- Patzko A, et al. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and related genetic neuropathies. Continuum Lifelong Learning in Neurology. 2012;18:39.