To diagnose cervicitis, your doctor will likely perform a physical exam that includes:
Oct. 24, 2014
- A pelvic exam. During this exam, your doctor checks your pelvic organs for areas of swelling and tenderness. He or she also may place a speculum in your vagina to view the upper part of the vagina and the cervix.
- A specimen collection. In a process similar to a Pap test, your doctor uses a small cotton swab or a brush to gently remove a sample of cervical and vaginal fluid. Your doctor sends the sample to a lab to test for infections. Lab tests also may be performed on a urine sample.
- Klausner JD, et al., eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=369&Sectionid=39914786. Accessed September 12, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- 2010 sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines. Atlanta, Ga.: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/default.htm. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Marrazzo J. Acute cervicitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.