One of the best ways to reduce your risk of cervicitis from sexually transmitted infections is to use condoms consistently and correctly each time you have sex. Condoms are very effective against the spread of sexually transmitted infections, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia, which can lead to cervicitis. Being in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner can also diminish your odds of a sexually transmitted infection.
Nov. 22, 2011
- McCormack WM. Vulvovaginitis and cervicitis. In: Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..00107-7. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Marrazzo J. Cervicitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Eckert LO, et al. Infections of the lower genital tract: Vulva, vagina, cervix, toxic shock syndrome, HIV infections. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/161833431-5/0/1524/147.html?tocnode=53759472&fromURL=147.html. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines 2010: Diseases characterized by urethritis and cervicitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/urethritis-and-cervicitis.htm. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Marrazzo JM. Cervicitis. In: Klausner JD, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3025026. Accessed Oct. 18, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.