Cervicitis that's caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia can spread to the uterine lining and the fallopian tubes, resulting in pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), an infection of the female reproductive organs. Women who develop PID may have pelvic pain, fever and vaginal discharge. Sometimes, however, there are no signs or symptoms. Untreated PID can cause fertility problems.
Nov. 22, 2011
- McCormack WM. Vulvovaginitis and cervicitis. In: Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..00107-7. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Marrazzo J. Cervicitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Eckert LO, et al. Infections of the lower genital tract: Vulva, vagina, cervix, toxic shock syndrome, HIV infections. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/161833431-5/0/1524/147.html?tocnode=53759472&fromURL=147.html. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines 2010: Diseases characterized by urethritis and cervicitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/urethritis-and-cervicitis.htm. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Marrazzo JM. Cervicitis. In: Klausner JD, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3025026. Accessed Oct. 18, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.