- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in sleep medicine have experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating central sleep apnea and other sleep disorders. Each Mayo Clinic location offers a sleep disorders center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, staffed by specialists trained in treating sleep disorders.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in sleep medicine, including doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists), lung and breathing conditions (pulmonologists), brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), mental health conditions (psychiatrists), and other areas, work together to determine the most appropriate treatment for your condition.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers study new diagnosis and treatment options for central sleep apnea and other sleep disorders and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for respiratory disorders and for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery and for psychiatry by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jun. 28, 2013
- NINDS sleep apnea information page. National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/sleep_apnea/sleep_apnea.htm. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea: Risk factors, clinical presentation, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Javaheri S. Central sleep apnea. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2010;31:235.
- Central sleep apnea. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pulmonary_disorders/sleep_apnea/central_sleep_apnea.html?qt=central%20sleep%20apnea&alt=sh. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- What is sleep apnea? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sleepapnea/. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Malhotra A, et al. What is central sleep apnea? Respiratory Care. 2010;55:1168.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea: Pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Malhotra A, et al. Cheyne-Stokes breathing and obstructive sleep apnea in heart failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Leung RS, et al. Mechanisms of sleep-disordered breathing: Causes and consequences. Pflugers Archiv. 2012;463:213.
- Millman RP, et al. Polysomnography in obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Dave NB. Initiation of positive airway pressure therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Find a sleep center near you. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepcenters.org/. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 29, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.