Dental exam — Overview covers preparation and what to expect during a dental exam.
How often do you need to replace your toothbrush? Is mouth rinse necessary? Get the facts on how to keep your smile healthy.
While a lack of saliva may not seem like a big deal, untreated it can increase the risk of dental decay and cause other problems.
What first-aid steps to take if you have a toothache.
Tests and diagnosis
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Apr. 28, 2011
- Gonzalves W. Oral health. In: South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3036775. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Ubertalli JT. Caries. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec08/ch095/ch095b.html. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Fontana M. Defining dental caries for 2010 and beyond. Dental Clinics of North America. 2010;54:423.
- Selwitz RH, et al. Dental caries. The Lancet. 2007;369:51.
- Using fluoride to prevent and control tooth decay in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/fact_sheets/fl_caries.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Dental amalgam use and benefits. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/publications/factsheets/amalgam.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Dental sealants. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/publications/factsheets/sealants_faq.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Aranha ACC, et al. Eating disorders part II: Clinical strategies for dental treatment. Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2008;9:e1. http://www.thejcdp.com/journal/view/eating-disorders-part-ii--clinical-strategies-for-dental-treatment. Accessed Jan. 31, 2011.
- Alfara EV, et al. Dental implications in children with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2008;20:576.
- Tinanoff N, et al. Update on early childhood caries since the surgeon general's report. Academic Pediatrics. 2009;9:396.