Your dentist can usually detect tooth decay easily. He or she will ask about tooth pain and sensitivity. Your dentist will examine your mouth and teeth and may probe with dental instruments to check for soft areas. You may also have dental X-rays, which can show the extent of cavities and decay. Your dentist will also be able to tell you specifically which of the three types of cavities you have — smooth surface, pit and fissure, or root.
Apr. 28, 2011
- Gonzalves W. Oral health. In: South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3036775. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Ubertalli JT. Caries. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec08/ch095/ch095b.html. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Fontana M. Defining dental caries for 2010 and beyond. Dental Clinics of North America. 2010;54:423.
- Selwitz RH, et al. Dental caries. The Lancet. 2007;369:51.
- Using fluoride to prevent and control tooth decay in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/fact_sheets/fl_caries.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Dental amalgam use and benefits. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/publications/factsheets/amalgam.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Dental sealants. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/publications/factsheets/sealants_faq.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Aranha ACC, et al. Eating disorders part II: Clinical strategies for dental treatment. Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2008;9:e1. http://www.thejcdp.com/journal/view/eating-disorders-part-ii--clinical-strategies-for-dental-treatment. Accessed Jan. 31, 2011.
- Alfara EV, et al. Dental implications in children with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2008;20:576.
- Tinanoff N, et al. Update on early childhood caries since the surgeon general's report. Academic Pediatrics. 2009;9:396.