- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and pathologists work as a multidisciplinary team to determine the best treatments for people with carcinoma of unknown primary. Other professionals are included as needed.
- The latest technology to aid in diagnosis. Mayo Clinic doctors have access to the latest technology to help them investigate where carcinoma of unknown primary began. Even when a primary site can't be determined, these tests give doctors clues that aid in selecting the best treatment. Radiologists use advanced imaging technology to search for signs of cancer. Pathologists have cutting-edge laboratory tests available to analyze cancer cells for clues of their origin. Doctors and hospitals around the world send biopsy samples to Mayo Clinic pathologists for evaluation.
- Experience. Carcinoma of unknown primary is an uncommon type of cancer. Mayo Clinic doctors have experience treating many cases of carcinoma of unknown primary.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with carcinoma of unknown primary includes chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
June 27, 2013