Although alternative medicine treatments can't cure carcinoid tumors, some alternative therapies may help you cope with the signs and symptoms of cancer and cancer treatment. Talk to your doctor about safe options.
Alternative treatments for stress
Being diagnosed with cancer can be a stressful experience. And if you have carcinoid syndrome caused by a carcinoid tumor, stress can also trigger skin flushing. Complementary and alternative medicine therapies may help you gain control over the stress in your life and help you better cope with your diagnosis. Consult with your doctor about trying:
Dec. 20, 2012
- Relaxation techniques
- Tai chi
- Kronenberg HM, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-3/0/1555/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 23, 2012.
- Neuroendocrine tumors. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Oct. 23, 2012.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 23, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 23, 2012.
- Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/gastrointestinalcarcinoid/Patient. Accessed Oct. 24, 2012.