If you or someone you're with develops signs or symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning — headache, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, confusion — get into fresh air immediately and call 911 or emergency medical help.
Hospital staff will need critical information as soon as you arrive. On the way to the hospital, try to prepare to answer questions about:
Feb. 24, 2015
- Possible sources of carbon monoxide exposure
- Signs or symptoms, and when they started
- Any mental impairment, including confusion and memory problems
- Any loss of consciousness
- Other medical conditions with which the affected person has been diagnosed, including pregnancy
- Smoking habits
- Carbon monoxide questions and answers. U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Carbon-Monoxide-Information-Center/Carbon-Monoxide-Questions-and-Answers-/. Accessed Oct. 23, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Carbon monoxide toxicity. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 23, 2014.
- Shannon MW, et al. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/content/book/3-s2.0-B978072160693450092X. Accessed Oct. 23, 2014.
- Indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. http://membership.uhms.org/?page=Indications. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Mosby; 2012.
- Millman MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 23, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.