How often do you need to replace your toothbrush? Is mouth rinse necessary? Get the facts on how to keep your smile healthy.
Syphilis, a sexually transmitted infection, first appears as painless sores on your genitals, rectum or mouth. Early diagnosis is important.
Although trench mouth is much less common than in years past, some people still get this painful gum infection. Brushing and flossing are keys to prevention.
Mar. 24, 2012
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Long SS, et al., eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/174218004-3/925169573/1679/31.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06687-0..50030-8--cesec16_721. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Canker sores, cold sores & common mouth sores. American Dental Association. http://www.ada.org/2982.aspx?currentTab=1. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Stomatitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/symptoms_of_dental_and_oral_disorders/stomatitis.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2012.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 6, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Recurrent aphthous ulcers. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Morelli V, et al. Alternative therapies for common dermatologic disorders, part 2. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:285.
- Bailey J, et al. What is the most effective way to treat recurrent canker sores? The Journal of Family Practice. 2011;60:621.
- Messadi DV, et al. Aphthous ulcers. Dermatologic Therapy. 2010;23:281.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.