Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Anyone can develop canker sores. But they occur more often in teens and young adults, and they're more common in females.
Often people with recurrent canker sores have a family history of the disorder. This may be due to heredity or to a shared factor in the environment, such as certain foods or allergens.
March 19, 2015
- Canker sores. FamilyDoctor.org. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/canker-sores.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Academy of Oral Medicine. http://www.aaom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82:canker-sores&catid=22:patient-condition-information&Itemid=120. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Dental Association. http://www.ada.org/en/Home-MouthHealthy/az-topics/c/canker-sores. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous ulcerations. American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/aphthous-ulcerations.php. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Mouth sores and inflammation. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/mouth_sores_and_inflammation.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/recurrent_aphthous_stomatitis.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Stoopler ET, et al. Oral mucosal diseases: Evaluation and management. Medical Clinics of North American. 2014;98:1323.
- Belenguer-Guallar I, et al. Treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis: A literature review. Journal of Clinical Experimental Dentistry. 2014;6:e168.
- Akintoye SO, et al. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Dental Clinics of North America. 2014;58:281.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 27, 2015.