To help relieve pain and speed healing, consider these tips:
March 19, 2015
- Rinse your mouth. Use salt water or baking soda rinse (dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup warm water).
- Dab a small amount of milk of magnesia on your canker sore a few times a day.
- Avoid abrasive, acidic or spicy foods that can cause further irritation and pain.
- Apply ice to your canker sores by allowing ice chips to slowly dissolve over the sores.
- Brush your teeth gently, using a soft brush and foaming-agent-free toothpaste such as Biotene or Sensodyne ProNamel.
- Canker sores. FamilyDoctor.org. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/canker-sores.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Academy of Oral Medicine. http://www.aaom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82:canker-sores&catid=22:patient-condition-information&Itemid=120. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Dental Association. http://www.ada.org/en/Home-MouthHealthy/az-topics/c/canker-sores. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous ulcerations. American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/aphthous-ulcerations.php. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Mouth sores and inflammation. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/mouth_sores_and_inflammation.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/recurrent_aphthous_stomatitis.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Stoopler ET, et al. Oral mucosal diseases: Evaluation and management. Medical Clinics of North American. 2014;98:1323.
- Belenguer-Guallar I, et al. Treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis: A literature review. Journal of Clinical Experimental Dentistry. 2014;6:e168.
- Akintoye SO, et al. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Dental Clinics of North America. 2014;58:281.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 27, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.