Canker sores, also called aphthous ulcers, are small, shallow lesions that develop on the soft tissues in your mouth or at the base of your gums. Unlike cold sores, canker sores don't occur on the surface of your lips and they aren't contagious. They can be painful, however, and can make eating and talking difficult.
Most canker sores go away on their own in a week or two. Check with your doctor or dentist if you have unusually large or painful canker sores or canker sores that don't seem to heal.
March 19, 2015
- Canker sores. FamilyDoctor.org. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/canker-sores.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Academy of Oral Medicine. http://www.aaom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82:canker-sores&catid=22:patient-condition-information&Itemid=120. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Canker sores. American Dental Association. http://www.ada.org/en/Home-MouthHealthy/az-topics/c/canker-sores. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous ulcerations. American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/aphthous-ulcerations.php. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Mouth sores and inflammation. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/mouth_sores_and_inflammation.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. The Merck Manual Home Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mouth_and_dental_disorders/symptoms_of_oral_and_dental_disorders/recurrent_aphthous_stomatitis.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2015.
- Stoopler ET, et al. Oral mucosal diseases: Evaluation and management. Medical Clinics of North American. 2014;98:1323.
- Belenguer-Guallar I, et al. Treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis: A literature review. Journal of Clinical Experimental Dentistry. 2014;6:e168.
- Akintoye SO, et al. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Dental Clinics of North America. 2014;58:281.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 27, 2015.