Living with cancer blog
Check out these favorite books on cancer survivorship
By Sheryl M. Ness, R.N. January 12, 2013
This week, I thought I'd talk about favorite books. I often have people ask me what my favorite resources are related to cancer survivorship. There are a few books that we use on a daily or weekly basis in our education practice here at Mayo Clinic. A few favorites:
- Picking Up the Pieces: Moving Forward After Surviving Cancer, by Sherri Magee and Kathy Scalzo. This book includes chapters on the entire spectrum of survivorship from the initial diagnosis to long-term survivorship. I love this book because it addresses the real issues experienced by cancer survivors and provides practical ideas for dealing with the physical, emotional and spiritual changes with holistic healing as the goal.
- 100 Questions & Answers About Life After Cancer: A Survivor's Guide, by Page Tolbert and Penny Damaskos. This book includes sections addressing emotions, communication, workplace and legal concerns, sexuality and healthy strategies for the long term after treatment is over.
- The Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine is another favorite. Many survivors are interested in integrating natural therapies with conventional medicine. This book is written by Mayo Clinic experts and provides up-to-date information on how therapies such as herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals, meditation, and other mind-body strategies can help you deal with the side effects of cancer and stay healthy.
- The American Cancer Society Complete Guide to Nutrition for Cancer Survivors is an excellent resource for eating well and staying well during and after cancer. Nutrition is a common concern for cancer patients. This book provides practical information on how to deal with the nutritional challenges that cancer patients may experience during treatment. The book is evidenced-based and highlights research and studies related to nutrition and the cancer survivor.
- Zest for Life: The Mediterranean Anti-Cancer Diet, by Conner Middelmann-Whitney is an excellent cookbook based on the Mediterranean Diet. The book outlines a variety of healthy recipes along with a weekly meal planner, shopping list and other resources to help you explore the benefits of a Mediterranean Diet.
Do you have a favorite book as a cancer survivor? Feel free to share with others through the blog.
Jan. 12, 2013
Sheryl M. Ness, R.N.